Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

No cards today. I'm spending time with my hubby and enjoying the freedoms that we all take for granted. We're taking time to remember those who served and gave their all.

Here in my small town we take Memorial Day a bit serious. We have many vets from this area. Every year on Memorial Day the local cemetery puts flags on the graves of the vets. Now these flags aren't those little bitty things that kids wave at a parade. They use full size flags on a real flag post.


While my hubby and I were there paying our respects and taking photos, an older vet came along. He was probably in his mid to late 60's. He was all alone and in his full dress army uniform. We were walking by and my hubby asked him; "Are you a vet, sir?" And the man looked a little surprised and answered in a shy quiet voice; "Yes, I am." My hubby stuck out his hand and said; "Thank you for your service." The man looked so taken-aback. He shook my hubby's hand and then mine as I said my thanks. He got choked up and his eyes glistened. He continued on to pay his respects, head down, but walking a wee bit taller.

I've thought a lot about that man the rest of today. I hope and pray that we all take the time to say thanks to those who have chosen to sacrifice time away from friends & family to keep our way of life secure. God Bless them.

Here are a few of the other photos from today. Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment